Ohio University’s Center for Entrepreneurship celebrates Global Entrepreneurship Week with an event focused on careers and entrepreneurship in the sciences, exploring innovators in drug discover, medical devices and diagnostics.
The event will feature several prominent speakers, panels and two networking receptions. Keynote speaker Patrick Connelly, chief executive officer at Pin Hill Ventures and senior Vertex Pharmaceuticals fellow emeritus, will open the evening with remarks on, “Creating Innovative Medicines While Building a Biotech Business – Lessons Learned.” Connelly was one of the original scientists at Vertex Pharmaceuticals, the inventor of medicines which treat cystic fibrosis.
The first panel, “The Science of Business in the 21st Century: Drug Discovery,” features Laura Brege, general partner at Red Rock Ventures and former chief financial officer at Cor Therapeutic; Tim Coleman, vice president of operations at Immunomic Therapeutics; and Jon Wang, chief scientific officer and senior vice president at CStone Pharmaceuticals. The panel will be moderated by John Kopchick, distinguished professor and Goll-Ohio Eminent Scholar Biomedical Sciences at Ohio University.
Before and after the panels, attendees can further interact with the industry professionals during the networking receptions, where light refreshments and a cash bar will be available.
This free event is hosted by Ohio University’s Center for Entrepreneurship, a partnership between the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs. The event is organized and sponsored by the College of Business, Department of Biology, TechGROWTH Ohio and the University’s Corporate Engagement Office.
4 P.M. – Registration and Networking
4:30 P.M. – Welcome Remarks
4:50 P.M. – Keynote – “Creating Innovative Medicines While Building a Biotech Business – Lessons Learned”
– Pat Connelly, CEO, Pin Hill Ventures & Senior Vertex Fellow
5:40 P.M. – Panel – “The Business of Science in the 21st Century: Drug Discovery”
– John Kopchick (moderator), Distinguished Professor & Goll-Ohio Eminent Scholar Biomedical Sciences at Ohio University
– Laura Brege, General Partner, Red Rock Ventures, and former CFO, COR Therapeutics
– Tim Coleman, VP of Operations at Immunomic Therapeutics
– Jon Wang, Chief Scientific Officer & Senior Vice President, CStone Pharmaceuticals
6:30 P.M. – Panel – “Entrepreneurship in Bioscience: No Cookie Cutter Approach”
– Moderator: John Lewis, President and CEO, BioOhio
– Jon J. Snyder, Founder, Executive Advisor, Neuros Medical, Inc.
– Pam Groen, Global Biomedical Business Leader & Advisor
– Brad Lang, Executive in Residence, BioEnterprise, Former scientist at Athersys
7:20 P.M. – Closing Remarks
7:30 P.M. – Post-event Networking Reception
Walter Rotunda | Ohio University | 25 S. Green Drive | Athens, Ohio, 45701
Ohio University Center for Entrepreneurship